Supreme Court of New South Wales

Proced​​​ural resource guide

Online res​​ourc​​es

​Court ​​​​​Rules

The Court's Rules that you must follow when filing documents, preparing your evidence, appearing in Court and taking any other step in a case in the Supreme Court are found in the Uniform Civil Procedure Rules (UCPR). You can read and search the UCPR online, along with all other current New South Wales legislation and regulations through the NSW Legislation website.

Court For​​​m​​s

You must use approved Court Forms when filing any documents with the Court's Registry. You can download the forms to your computer, save them and then fill them in electronically. However, you must physically sign documents with a pen.

Practic​e No​​​t​​​​es

​The Supreme Court Practice Notes give you useful information about particular aspects of procedure that might be relevant to your case. Some Practice Notes are specific to certain types of disputes, and others are general and apply to all civil proceedings.

Registry resou​​​​​​​rces

​What is the ​Regi​​​stry?

The Registry is located in Sydney's Central Business District​ and is the place where you file your court documents (unless you choose to file them online). The Registry staff will check your documents to ensure they a​re completed correctly . You can also obtain basic procedural information about the Court from the Registry. Please remember to treat all Registry staff with respect and courtesy.

Registry staff are not lawyers and cannot provide legal advice about your matter or tell you what to say in court. You cannot rely in court on any information given to you by the Registry staff. Registry staff cannot print out Court Forms for you or assist you in completing those forms.

Duty Regi​strar

The Duty Registrar is located in the Registry and is available from 9:30 am to 4:30 pm in person or, in urgent cases, by telephone​. Things which the Duty Registrar can do for you include:

  • Give permission to file documents that do not comply with Court Rules.
  • Give permission for you to file a subpoena.
  • Change the minimum amount of time you have under the Rules to serve a subpoena or notice of motion.
  • Grant some urgent applications if they are accompanied by a notice of motion and an affidavit showing why the application should be approved, for example, applications for a stay of a writ of possession of property.
  • Refer urgent matters to the Duty Judge.
  • Determine instalment applications to allow you to pay off a judgment debt if you cannot pay the whole amount at once. ​
Information alert

Learn more about the Court's Duty Registrar Service​.

Last updated:

11 Sep 2023

Was this content useful?
We will use your rating to help improve the site.
Please don't include personal or financial information here
Please don't include personal or financial information here
Top Return to top of page Top